Thursday, March 10, 2011

getting within it.

Most of the time we think that artists have it so good.  And being someone who is lucky to call his art his job, I would have to agree with that concept.  That is until I have a day like I had today.  There is nothing like training your body six hours a day, six days a week.  It hurts so bad that you begin to tell yourself that you actually enjoy the pain.  In fact you get addicted to it... The same way drug addicts get addicted to haroin.  Yesterday I came down with a cold, and I was forced to take the day off from training.  Well I was supposed to take the day of from training.  Instead I still woke up at the crack of dawn and I still showed up and took company class.  The truth about art is that there is an element that has to be work.  There has to be a structure that you never falter from.  It's that structure that is so f#@!#$% hard to maintain, that allows you to go beyond your craft.  The consistency is what gives you fluency.  The hard part about dancing is the day in and day out work ethic you have to have.  The rest, the rest is easy...  Double tours, tour assemble...  It's easy, but you have to maintain your structure, otherwise there isn't clarity.  Days like today remind me how hard this life can be.  The next few days I'll be getting over this cold, but you can bet I'll still be training.  Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment