Thursday, December 29, 2011

Lessons

Yesterday was hard.  I've been learning that even if your intentions are in the right place people will still take you the way they want to take you.  You can say everything in the right way and it can be completely wrong.  It's disheartening to know that you can try so hard to communicate and fail miserably.
That's how a felt all yesterday.  Now I can look back and see that there is no such thing as a correct way to say something.  That when we give advice it is only because we care, but that if someone doesn't take it the way you intended to give it, then the fault is on both parties.
After yesterday I have learned two things.  One, only voice your opinion when asked.  Otherwise it won't be valued or warranted, even if you preemptively ask for permission to critique.  And two, if your having a hard time fitting into a new circle of friends or colleagues, then perhaps you shouldn't try so hard to squeeze in, and allow them to come into your circle when they are ready.
Right now I feel saddened that I can't connect with my new community in a stronger way.  I also know that this is a phase, and that I need to be forbearing while my new community figures out what I'm all about.  Lastly, I care, and I will continue to care.  The circumstances of my life were only in my wildest dreams until a few months ago, and I'm not going to give up.  I will survive, and I will thrive.
I'm here!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you have had many more interesting lessons and good and bad experiences with your community since then. Care to elaborate?

    ReplyDelete